[Expat-discuss] Expat with UTF-32 support (as implemented in 4Suite.org)

Raphael Bossek raphael.bossek at gmx.de
Tue Oct 4 07:41:06 CEST 2005

Hi expat team,

first, I'm the 4suite.org Debian GNU/Linux maintainer. 4suite is a
XML package for Python using expat today with UTF-32 support. And
here is the problem. Using the official libexpat library will not
work with 4suite.org due to missing UTF-32 support. The 4suite.org
team extended the expat implementation for their project themself.

I'm interested in makeing the UTF-32 support part of the upcomming
2.0 release. Before making the public I would like to discuss the
problems about this extension. I'l like to know if such extension
would be accepted before 2.0 release.

Without the UTF-32 support in libexpat it will be mutch harder for
me to maintain 4suite.org package for Debian GNU/Linux. The usage
for libexpat instead of staticly linking the 4suite.org extension
into the Python modules is mandatory for mod_python environments.
We have to make sure only one version of expat symbols is loaded
into memory.

Any idears are welcome. In the meantime I'l investigate the patch
done by the 4suite.org team and make a patch agains latest CVS.
I've also see MSVC 6.0 support in it. Is there any interest in it?

--
Raphael Bossek