[Expat-discuss] Expat with UTF-32 support (as implemented in

Karl Waclawek karl at waclawek.net
Tue Oct 4 15:22:42 CEST 2005

Raphael Bossek wrote:

>Hi expat team,
>
>first, I'm the 4suite.org Debian GNU/Linux maintainer. 4suite is a
>XML package for Python using expat today with UTF-32 support. And
>here is the problem. Using the official libexpat library will not
>work with 4suite.org due to missing UTF-32 support. The 4suite.org
>team extended the expat implementation for their project themself.
>
>I'm interested in makeing the UTF-32 support part of the upcomming
>2.0 release. Before making the public I would like to discuss the
>problems about this extension. I'l like to know if such extension
>would be accepted before 2.0 release.

In principle yes, but it depends on how invasive the patch is, and how
it affects the existing
functionality. In any case I would say we would rather release it as
1.95.9, to give it some public
exposure and find possible bugs.

>Without the UTF-32 support in libexpat it will be mutch harder for
>me to maintain 4suite.org package for Debian GNU/Linux. The usage
>for libexpat instead of staticly linking the 4suite.org extension
>into the Python modules is mandatory for mod_python environments.
>We have to make sure only one version of expat symbols is loaded
>into memory.
>
>Any idears are welcome. In the meantime I'l investigate the patch
>done by the 4suite.org team and make a patch agains latest CVS.
>I've also see MSVC 6.0 support in it. Is there any interest in it?

Yes, let us have a look at it.

I hope Fred reads this as well - haven't heard from him in a while.

Karl