[Expat-discuss] Patch for SF feature request #1048448

Raphael Bossek raphael.bossek at gmx.de
Fri Oct 14 07:44:26 CEST 2005

Hi Karl,

as you mentioned before we should consider the sourceforge.net
feature request #1048448. There are today incompatibilites for
applications linking agains different variantes of libexpat:
 * wchar_t        -> XMLWC_
 * unsigned short -> XML16_
 * char           -> XML_
 * unsigned long  -> XML32_

To make these libraries work together in _one_ application I've
introduced a simple macro called XMLABI() which prefix all ABI
function with different tags as shown abow. See attached patch.

This patch is against the UTF32 support, but should not be to
hard to be modified to apply to original CVS HEAD.

If this patch is accepted we have to change the ABI version for
non char (XML_) libraries. They become incompatible with todays
applications which uses XML_ in UNICODE (libexpatw) environments.
We try to fix this now.

This patch also convert all XML_ function names to XMLABI() for
applications that did not change they names but defined XML_UNICODE.
This makes things easier for the developers. On the other hand we
get our change faster public.

Any comments are appreciated!

--
Raphael Bossek