[Expat-discuss] a few newbie queistions

Norman Rosner jeckyll at mac.com
Thu Aug 24 16:02:31 CEST 2006

Hi there,

i'm new to expat and i'm trying to use it to write a chartparser...

So i have a xml-document with this structure:

> <grammar>
> <productions>
> <rule>
> <INDEX>0</INDEX>
> <LHS>S</LHS>
> <RHS>NP VP</RHS>
> </rule>
>
> <rule>
> <INDEX>1</INDEX>
> <LHS>NP</LHS>
> <RHS>DET A N</RHS>
> </rule>

After installing expat on my machine I tried to figure out how it
works so I observed the elements.c in the examples directory.

Now my questions that I could not solve until now - maybe you can
help me:

based on the elements.c in the examples directory of expat i rewrote
the startElement-function just to test something:

> static void XMLCALL
> startElement(void *userData, const char *name, const char **atts)
> {
>   if(name == "LHS") {
>     printf("LeftHandSide");
>   }
>   else {
>     printf("StartingElement : %s\n", name);
>   }
> }

Could anyone tell me why does my identitytesting in (name == "LHS")
not work at all? Where is my Mistake in thinking?

Second Question:

How can i get the data that's in the elements. I tried the
XML_SetCharacterDataHandler but it didn't work the way i intended it
to work ;)
Can anyone send me an example or so where the data of the elements is
just printed on stdout? That would be nice.

Thanks a lot for your help

so far
norman