[Expat-discuss] Expat-discuss Digest, Vol 72, Issue 7

Nick MacDonald nickmacd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 04:26:21 CET 2006

> Maybe the world has moved forward... maybe it is time to say good bye to
> SAX??
Maybe Jimmy should say goodbye to posting on this list??  Please?  Go
make your own list and annoy people there.

> and VTD-XML is still forward only and unpleasant to use...
Quite probably!

> One can argue that, to process XML, SAX parsers need to be used at least
> twice...
> first time is to scan the document from start to end, just to check
> wellformedness, the
> second pass is to perform the application processing... otherwise, what
> happens
> if the application perform 10 transactions but then discover that  the last
> angle
> bracket of the XMl file is missing.?? roll back those 10 transactions ?? So
> should we
> reduce the SAX perform by 50% just to be fair comparison with VTD-XML??

You have a valid point, but then you would because apparently you
designed your product for transaction oriented processing...  This is
not how I use expat and I find it absolutely perfect for my needs.
What are those needs you ask...  two fold:
  - configuration files
  - code generation

In both cases, I only need one pass through the XML to achieve my
goals... and memory efficiency is way more important to me (in my
embedded systems and designs) than any possible benefit a "compressed
DOM representation" can give me.

Please let it rest and go write some more code for your project and
leave the rest of us in peace to use SAX for what it is best at:
memory and time efficient XML parsing.