[Expat-discuss] Pull parsing with Expat?

Jonathan Claggett jonathan at claggett.org
Fri Nov 3 05:22:45 CET 2006

Hello,

I'm looking to use Expat for parsing XML files (because it's fast and
competent) but not via the standard callbacks. Instead, I want to loop
through an input file by repeatedly calling an Expat function that returns
the next XML token and its type from the input file. Ideally, there would be
an XML_ParseNextToken() (or maybe the XmlTok macros?) function or something
like that. I believe this kind of processing is known as 'pull' parsing
since the application explicitly requests the next token to be handled.
Anyway, is this kind of usage something Expat is suited for or can even
handle?

Thanks,
Jonathan Claggett