[Expat-discuss] Parser benchmarks article

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Sat May 12 05:04:43 CEST 2007

O'Reilly's "XML.com" site just published an article comparing several popular
parsers for performance:

  http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2007/05/09/xml-parser-benchmarks-part-1.html

The article is heavily biased toward Java implementations (reflecting a sad
state of the entire industry), but it did show that the only C implementation
tested performed much better than the Java implementations for the
event-based parsing.

The second benchmark measured performance of the StAX parsers, which is a Java
specification; there are non-Java equivalents (as I understand it), but I
don't know if there's a C implementation of a similar API.  I pretty much
ignored that, since I've no interest in Java-based parsers.

What disappointed me about the article was that only one C implementation was
considered, and it wasn't Expat.  I'd love to see a good comparison of Expat
with the libxml2 library.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.   <fdrake at acm.org>