[Expat-discuss] Fwd: I need help with error message 'xml declaration not at start of external en

Nick MacDonald nickmacd at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 15:15:12 CEST 2008

Steve:

I don't want to sound pedantic, but when it comes to spec's and most
especially BNF grammars, I think you have to be.  So with the mindset
in mind, I think you need to think "what would happen if I lifted the
BNF grammar out of the XML spec, put into a code generation tool and
made my own XML parser from that generated code?"  By my read, if you
did that, you would get the behaviour that eXpat exhibits.  (See [1]
below.)

(All that follows is simply my opinion, as I interpret the XML spec...
I am not a member of any XML spec writing organization.)
I want to be clear that the <?xml > declaration "tag" is not just
another XML tag like any other in your document, it is very special...
its more of a file signature than anything else, thus the reason why
it needs to appear very specifically at the beginning of the file.
(See [2] below.)  Whitespace and XML comments are allowed at any point
in the body of the document, but the body of the document does not
start until AFTER the XML declaration...

Its important to note that you do not need to include the XML
declaration on the file, but if you chose too, it needs to be the very
first characters in the file, no whitespace or comments before it.  If
it is omitted, then any whitespace or comments are allowed in the rest
of the XML document, and so could appear at the top of a file without
the XML declaration.  Perhaps your applications that produce white
space before the XML declaration could simply omit the declaration?
(Or you might have a special program that pre-formats the files, and
fixes them up to make them compliant?)

I hope this makes it clear...  your applications are what appears to
be broken... not the XML spec, and not eXpat.

Nick

[1]  I have no information on what tool, if any was used to actually
produce eXpat... in all honesty I have barely ever looked at the
actual eXpat source...  I am a true user in this case... I use it
cause it solves my problems... and its never done anything to me to
make me think it was broken, so I never looked into its internals.  In
fact, I have never ran into your specific case before, because I am
the type of XML user who uses XML as human generated input (usually
config or command files) and I always copy from a template file that
has always just worked.  That file has no space at the beginning...
but when I added it to try a test case based on your question, I saw
the same behaviour you're questioning.

[2] On Unix, there is the "file" command, and it looks for file
signatures.  It is configured by being told what and where to look for
things, and if it finds them, that is how it "types" a file.  If the
file could have a random amount of whitespace at the beginning, this
would make it harder to identify an XML file using this tool.