[Expat-discuss] not well-formed (invalid token) error

Carlos Pereira jose.carlos.pereira at ist.utl.pt
Wed Apr 8 01:48:39 CEST 2009

Nick MacDonald wrote:
> Krishna:
>
> I'm afraid you're fighting a losing battle...  You're trying to use the wrong tool.  I have never looked into XHTML, put my gut instinct tells me it would be an valid XML expression of HTML... and that is where you need to go if you wish to continue to use eXpat as you're currently attempting.
Nick is absolutely right. XHTML is essentially well formed HTML, which
means much more elegant but also a bit more restrictive, particularly
for beginners (particularly if you use XHTML 1.0 Strict, you might
prefer a less restrictive specification).

So everything comes down to the question: how much control do you have
over these HTML files? if you are starting a new project where HTML
files are controled by you, I strongly suggest XHTML, which is sooo much
better than plain HTML. In a perfect world all HTML files would be
XHTML. If HTML files come from someone else, or exist already, then
forget Expat.

Regards,