[Expat-discuss] Time for a new release?

Karl Waclawek karl at waclawek.net
Sun Jan 18 22:31:03 CET 2009

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> Since the autotools are distributed with the tarball, it really kind
> of depends on the person doing the release (you). Typically, you'd
> want to do the release from wherever you have the most recent releases
> of autoconf/automake/libtool. I don't know what platforms you do expat
> development on, but any recent Linux distro would be fine.

The issue here is that I only did the last release(s) because no-one
else had the time.
I think everyone familiar with the Expat project  knows that my
expertise is more with the code itself, and with Windows, if OS
familiarity is required.
So I did my best - reading up on build knowledge as necessary, but I was
also lucky that I didn't mess anything up.
> Still, I wouldn't worry about this too much. Expat wouldn't be the
> first or last package to need autotools updates. Distros know how to
> manage this situation.

If anyone can recommend a recent - and safe - version of autotools,
we'll see what I (or Fred) can do.

> In expat.m4 the AM_WITH_EXPAT macro is underquoted. See the paragraph
> starting with "Starting with Automake 1.8, aclocal will warn about all
> underquoted calls to AC_DEFUN [..]":
> http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
> http://bugs.debian.org/485129
>
> The patch is trivial and safe.
>

>> Hope our build experts will do this.
>>

> This patch is definitely fine to commit.

Applied in expat.m4 rev. 1.2.

Karl