[Expat-discuss] File not found error in the parser

Justin Seyster jseyster at cs.stonybrook.edu
Wed Jun 30 01:16:14 CEST 2010

Hmm, I wrote a script that just opens and parses an XML file, and it
gives me the same problem.  It looks like it's definitely something
wrong either with my machine's configuration or the particular version
of Python (and its Expat wappers) that I'm using.

I put the script below.
        --Justin

#!/usr/bin/env python

import sys

from xml.sax import handler
from xml.sax import make_parser
from xml.sax.handler import feature_namespaces

class BlankHandler(handler.ContentHandler):
    def __init__(self):
        pass

    def startElement(self, name, attrs):
        print "Start: ", name
        pass

    def endElement(self, name):
        print "End: ", name
        pass

if __name__ == '__main__':
    if len(sys.argv) != 2:
        sys.exit(1)
    xmlfile = sys.argv[1]

    parser = make_parser()
    parser.setFeature(feature_namespaces, 0)

    dh = BlankHandler()
    parser.setContentHandler(dh)

    try:
        xmlhandle = open(xmlfile, 'r')
        # Uncommenting the line below shows that xmlhandle can be read
        # successfully.
        #print xmlhandle.readline()
        parser.parse(xmlhandle)
        xmlhandle.close()