[Flask] serious problems with deploying flask app to server

tigernassau tigernassau at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 06:22:47 CEST 2015

Not sure whether it's an issue with docs or even a bug in wsgi  - what
should be a 30 minute task is turning into 3 days!

Although deploying the simple flask hello world example to a standard
server should be a really basic task, good step by step docs are really
lacking - we couldn't find a single specific working example and many
other people reporting trouble on stackoverflow are dissed without
solutions.  The pocoo.org docs do not show a working complete example -
this is making using Flask really difficult to use compared to other
frameworks.  Can we turn this example into some good step by step docs.

we first tried nginx w/ uwsgi but this failed big time - somehow nginx
is caching the non-working nginx.conf with uwsgi and couldn't clear it
or even reset the server - so purged nginx and moved to Apache

while apache is working fine for serving several other static sites with
virtual hosts, the following flask app is failing on Apache - it's also
caching some process so even after removing the app conf file in
sites-enabled, we cannot restart the server - apparently some process is
running that we cannot find or kill and requiring the whole server to
come down.  something is seriously wrong here - not sure what the hell
wsgi is doing.

ourproject.py
from flask import Flask
app = Flask(__name__)
@app.route('/')
def hello():
     return '<h1>Hello</h1>'
if __name__ == "__main__":
     app.run(debug=True, host='127.0.0.1',port='8040')

ourproject.wsgi
#  wsgi file
import os, sys
sys.path.insert(0,"var/www/ourproject")
from ourproject import app as application

# ourproject.conf
<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerName ourproject.com
   ServerAlias www.ourproject.com
   DocumentRoot /var/www/ourproject/
   ErrorLog /var/www/ourproject/logs/error.log
   CustomLog /var/www/ourproject/logs/access.log combined

   WSGIDaemonProcess ourproject user=www-data group=www-data threads=5
   WSGIScriptAlias / /var/www/ourproject/ourproject.wsgi

   <Directory /var/www/ourproject>
       WSGIProcessGroup ourproject
       WSGIApplicationGroup %{GLOBAL}
       Order allow, deny
       Allow from all
   </Directory>

   Alias /static /var/www/ourproject/static
</VirtualHost>

** not sure what %{GLOBAL} should be

1,1           Top

--