[Flask] serious problems with deploying flask app to server

tigernassau tigernassau at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 21:30:34 CEST 2015

On 09/08/2015 11:56 AM, Matt Gushee wrote:
> Hi, Tiger--
>
> I used to run a Flask site with nginx & uwsgi; I can't recall any
> major issues with deployment. That site is not currently up, but I'll
> see if I can find the configs. Meanwhile, this is just to let you know
> that it *should* work. IMHO.

hope you can post a working solution - we made progress by also looking
at Bottle docs and now don't have server errors but Flask app domain is
reverting to the Apache page and not running the flask app - that would
indicated a virtual host issue but a static html page shows up fine on
this domain - maybe a port issue ??  - maybe the Flask app not running
??   maybe version conflicts (used latest Deb 8 for python (2.7x) ,
mod-wsgi and pip install Flask).  After 4 days, have run out of ideas to
try.

I realize there are variables (Apache vs Nginx, Debian vs Ubuntu vs
RedHat, standalone vs virtual hosts) but should be easy enough to have
working examples of these most typical deployments)

Flask was really great for developing our site - now if we can only get
it deployed (:

> --
> Matt Gushee
>
> On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 10:22 PM, tigernassau <tigernassau at gmail.com
> <mailto:tigernassau at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Not sure whether it's an issue with docs or even a bug in wsgi  -
>     what should be a 30 minute task is turning into 3 days!
>
>     Although deploying the simple flask hello world example to a
>     standard server should be a really basic task, good step by step
>     docs are really lacking - we couldn't find a single specific
>     working example and many other people reporting trouble on
>     stackoverflow are dissed without solutions.  The pocoo.org
>     <http://pocoo.org> docs do not show a working complete example -
>     this is making using Flask really difficult to use compared to
>     other frameworks.  Can we turn this example into some good step by
>     step docs.
>
>     we first tried nginx w/ uwsgi but this failed big time - somehow
>     nginx is caching the non-working nginx.conf with uwsgi and
>     couldn't clear it or even reset the server - so purged nginx and
>     moved to Apache
>
>     while apache is working fine for serving several other static
>     sites with virtual hosts, the following flask app is failing on
>     Apache - it's also caching some process so even after removing the
>     app conf file in sites-enabled, we cannot restart the server -
>     apparently some process is running that we cannot find or kill and
>     requiring the whole server to come down.  something is seriously
>     wrong here - not sure what the hell wsgi is doing.
>
>     ourproject.py
>     from flask import Flask
>     app = Flask(__name__)
>     @app.route('/')
>     def hello():
>         return '<h1>Hello</h1>'
>     if __name__ == "__main__":
>         app.run(debug=True, host='127.0.0.1',port='8040')
>
>     ourproject.wsgi
>     #  wsgi file
>     import os, sys
>     sys.path.insert(0,"var/www/ourproject")
>     from ourproject import app as application
>

>     # ourproject.conf
>     <VirtualHost *:80>
>       ServerName ourproject.com <http://ourproject.com>
>       ServerAlias www.ourproject.com <http://www.ourproject.com>
>       DocumentRoot /var/www/ourproject/
>       ErrorLog /var/www/ourproject/logs/error.log
>       CustomLog /var/www/ourproject/logs/access.log combined
>
>       WSGIDaemonProcess ourproject user=www-data group=www-data threads=5
>       WSGIScriptAlias / /var/www/ourproject/ourproject.wsgi
>
>       <Directory /var/www/ourproject>
>           WSGIProcessGroup ourproject
>           WSGIApplicationGroup %{GLOBAL}
>           Order allow, deny
>           Allow from all
>       </Directory>
>
>       Alias /static /var/www/ourproject/static
> [...]

Tiger Nassau, Inc.
www.tigernassau.com