[Flask] endpoint when running flask app as cgi?

keith macdonald keith at the-sanctuary.biz
Tue Apr 10 16:12:10 EDT 2018

Just wondering, is the root folder for the Flask app-route the same as the
cgi-bin folder?

Today's Topics:

   1. endpoint when running flask app as cgi? (Stuart McGraw)

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2018 17:06:28 -0600
From: Stuart McGraw <smcg4191 at mtneva.com>
To: flask at python.org
Subject: [Flask] endpoint when running flask app as cgi?

Hello,

The following, myapp.py, runs fine when I run it directly (ie using Flask's
built-in server):

   App = Flask ('myapp')
   @App.route('/')
   def hello_world():
     return 'Hello, world'
   def main():
     App.run (host='0.0.0.0', debug=True)
   if __name__ == '__main__': main()

But I want to run it as a cgi script so per the Flask docs I created the
following, cgiapp.py in my webserver's cgi-bin/ directory:

   #!/usr/bin/python3
   import sys; sys.path.append ('/home/me/devel')
   from wsgiref.handlers import CGIHandler
   from myapp import App
   CGIHandler().run (App)

But when I access the url for the cgi script I get a 404 error.

I am certain the web server, cgi, etc is configured correctly (if I replace
the CGIHandler call with print statements, the I get the expected web page;
the 404 is being generated by Flask in the app code.)

I guess I need something other than "/" in the App.route() decorator but I
am not sure what.  I *have* read the Flask docs (multiple times) without
enlightenment and my stab-in-the-dark guesses not been productive.
Hints?  (or better yet an answer? :-)