[getopt-sig] Command lines and GUI form generation

David Boddie david@sleepydog.net
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:45:34 +0100

On Tuesday 30 Apr 2002 12:21 am, holger@trillke.net wrote:

> Plus i would really like to use your extremely well
> documented cmdsyntax.py for the cmdline-to-function
> mapping. Thanks!

The documentation really needs to be finished for things like the Style
class and some of the other peripheral classes.

Thanks for the comments, anyway. It's good to know that the documentation
is appreciated.

> The idea of unification of command line and GUI sounds
> very interesting to me, because:
>
> - many people are used to GUIs (especially new python
>   programmers coming from windows)

Scripts can be written so that they will launch a GUI if they are
started without arguments. This is useful if you need to start scripts
from a panel or taskbar, for instance.

> - GUIs provide a convenient interface if you have
>   to instrument the script with many switches

Yes, up to a point. If the script has lots of options which need to be
specified then I think a configuration file might be more appropriate.

The ripoff example, which appears to be the current benchmark for option
libraries, is interesting to consider. The user may choose to supply lots
of information using switches, but none of it is actually required
(unless I interpreted the original example incorrectly). This means that
ripoff might benefit from having a GUI in certain cases.

David