[getopt-sig] Re: [optik] ANNOUNCE: getopt-sig created

Patrick Callahan pac1@tiac.net
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 20:29:28 -0500

Its good to see that this is going to get some discussion.  I think Greg
Ward's optik implementation is quite clear and focused.  I've not used the
other two yet.

I'm wondering a first step would be to develop a list of what differentiates
optik, arglist.py and Russ Cox's Plan9 style implementation.

I hope the principal authors of the (so far) three competing packages can put
their heads together and come up with a merger of the best features of all
three for inclusion in Python 2.3  If it turns out there's more than one
distinct set of functionality that needs to be defined under the general
heading of "option parsing".  I think that would be ok too.

- Pat Callahan