[getopt-sig] Option package requirements

Russ Cox rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 16:53:23 -0500

> But, irony of ironies, it seems to me that your iterator interface is
> exactly the tool for people who *do* want to perpetrate such awkward,
> non-standard UIs.  A one-option-at-a-time, let-me-write-all-the-code-

Not really.  You couldn't write tar or sox with it.
(I don't know enough about rpm's syntax to judge.)

Once it hits a non-option argument it stops.
That kills off sox and makeinfo and cc.
In the case of tar, the first - is optional.
Can't do that.  In the -O1 case, you can't have
optional arguments.

I don't remember the other examples well
enough, but I'm fairly sure that none of them
are possible with my interface (unless you dig
around in the internals).

So I think the iterator discourages that sort
of UI just as much as an object-based parser.

Russ