[getopt-sig] More about commands on the command line

Russ Cox rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 12:20:12 -0500

Let's get Optik right for the common case and
in the Python standard library and _then_ see
what people want for nonstandard stuff.

If we try to plan for everything people will want
we'll end up with a tool that no one will want
because it will be impossible to use and always
do almost but not quite the right thing.

It's not like Optik becomes immutable if we put it
into the standard library.

Back to more mundane things, Greg, why do you
think that there should be both the list interface
and the .add_option interface?  Why not make the
parser a subclass of list instead?  Having two interfaces
suggests to me that something is not quite right.
The other problem with having more than one way
to do it is that everyone will do it different ways,
not know about the other ways, and be confused
when they run into people who do it differently
from them.

Russ