[getopt-sig] The bake-off

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Thu, 30 May 2002 08:46:37 -0400

On 30 May 2002, Guido van Rossum said:
> > There was some discussion about the use of conflicting options,
> > resulting from the practice of aliasing commands. Whether things
> > like "--verbose --quiet" were allowable proved to be a point of
> > contention.
>
> Hm, obviously the last option wins; it's a common trick to alias a
> command to specify a bunch of default options, and it's useful to
> override those explicitly by adding more options to the alias
> invocation.

Yes, I was surprised that there were people (maybe only one person --
forget who) who thought that use of mutually conflicting command-line
options should be disallowed by the standard option-parsing library.  I
think that was a minority viewpoint, and it was pretty thoroughly shot
down.

I'll go see about augmenting Optik's entry into the bake-off per your
requirements.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Linux geek                                  gward@python.net