[getopt-sig] Re: [Python-Dev] Adopting Optik

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:40:00 -0500

On 13 November 2002, Guido van Rossum said:
> Of course, it would be easier for prospective users if Greg's
> distribution used the same name as we adopt for 2.3. :-)

Yes -- what I'm planning is the first major Optik release after it's
incorporated into Python's stdlib (Optik 1.5?) will include a stub
module -- optlib.py, optparse.py, OptionParser.py, whatever -- that
emulates the module of the same name from Python 2.3.  Or something like
that.  So developers can say "requires Python 2.3 or Optik 1.5" and just
code this:

  from optparse import OptionParser

with no silly "try/except ImportError" hacks.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward <gward@python.net>                         http://www.gerg.ca/
It takes a scary kind of illness / To design a place like this for pay