[Python Glasgow] Day & Venue.

Aaron Bassett abassett at twig-world.com
Tue Nov 20 11:58:43 CET 2012

I would vote for the 4th Monday. We get in before TMU, unlike the 4th
Thurs where people might be tired/hungover.
And those wanting to attend both have 2 days between them.

Some thoughts on venues. If we want to have talks we need somewhere with
AV equipment. I would suggest that at least to begin we follow the same
model as Edinburgh (and soon Glasgow) Refresh whereby we only have talks
once per quarter. So we could have a different venue for general meetups
and talks.

General Venues:

Vespbar - http://vespbar.com/
Unfortunately quite a few meetups already use here. It's really hot when
you get a few people in it but on the plus side you can get the
downstairs for free and depending on numbers they'll even throw in some
pizza.

Old Hair Dressers - http://www.stereocafebar.com/index.php?pid=195675
Quite a cool wee space (if a little rough looking), very central with
cheap drink prices. Internet access could be an issue and I'm not sure
how their AV facilities have come along since I was last there. Also I'm
not sure how much (if anything) it costs to hire.

Lansdowne - http://www.lansdownebar.co.uk/
Nice private area at the back which is free to hire during the week.
Seats 20 comfortably with plenty of power/wifi. Staff are lovely and
depending on group size can negotiate 20% off food. Cons are it is a bit
out of the way (Kelvinbridge) and drinks are a bit pricey.

Slouch - http://www.slouch-bar.co.uk/
They have a sofa seating area at front which could comfortably seat ~12.
One of my favorite Glasgow bars with great drink/food selection at good
prices. Internet is an issue as it is a basement bar, maybe talk to them
about Wifi access? Very central (Bath street)

Maggie Mays - http://maggiemays.info/press/
Like a bigger slouch (owned by same people) can be very loud, although I
don't think it will be on a Monday unless they have a band on. Not quite
as central.

Curler's rest - http://www.thecurlersrestglasgow.co.uk/
Good food, if booked upstairs sofa area could comfortably hold ~20
although seating might be a bit split into groups. Nice food, good drink
selection, moderately priced fairly private/quiet area upstairs.

AV Venues:

I haven't looked into many of these, only Sloans which has a lovely
ballroom which can be kitted out. Think it is roughly £175 to hire.

--
Aaron Bassett
Senior Technical Lead

T: + 44 141 353 7700  M: + 44 7719 193 500
Skype: twig.abassett