[Grants-discuss] RE: Suggestions for Topics

crbidlack crbidlack at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 19 06:24:42 CEST 2004

> Does anyone have a good Python itch they'd like
scratched but don't have
> time themselves?  Or a wishlist URL?

Jeff.

Here are a couple ideas. These would definitely help
in my day-to-day work with building apps with Python.
FYI, I'm putting together a proposal on something
else, so please do take these if you'd like.

Also, if anyone is interested in these and would like
to chat, please do contact me. These are problem areas
that my company has worked on a bit, but not to a
degree of engineering and design that is really
satisfying and general in nature.

Regards.

-Clint

1. InnoSetup python module
Imagine a python module that allows one to create
InnoSetup scripts and then runs the InnoSetup
compiler. We have such scripts, but they are not
general in nature. See http://www.jrsoftware.org/

2. MS MSI python module
Same as 1. above but for MicroSoft MSI. There may be
reasonable libraries for doing this already? I don't
know since we use InnoSetup now.

3. Python UI test module
You have a Python app with a UI written in wxPython
(or other GUI API). Now, imagine being able to "drive"
the app with Python code, effectively simulating user
input. This would have at least two uses: 1) giving
demos and 2) functional testing.

There is one library I saw a couple months ago that
had part of this functionality, but it wasn't so
complete.