[Grants-discuss] Question -- Indirect costs?

Steve Graham skg at dsu.edu
Tue Sep 28 17:02:36 CEST 2004

I am a faculty member at a university. If I submit a grant proposal to go
through the university, the grants office will add a percentage to the
budget for indirect costs.

These are the costs to the university of providing an infrastructure to
support research. This includes such things as the network and computer
infrastructure; the human resources infrastructure (supporting pay and
benefits for student and faculty) and so on.

Does the Python Software Foundation have a postion on such costs? Should I
submit a proposal as a faculty member and under the auspices of the
university? Or would the PSF prefer submissions as an individual, without
the indirect costs and so on?

The advantages of not going through a university are avoiding indirect
costs and bureaucracy. The disadvantage of not going through the
university would be the inability to use university resources for the
grant research and that the infrastructure the indirect costs support are
still needed (i.e., the computer and networking infrastructure, the time
and effort to comply with government regulations if an employee is hired
to work on a project).

I have more than one idea for a proposal, but I'd like to submit them in a
form the PSF prefers -- with or without the university association and
indirect costs.

cheers,
skg