[group-organizers] Anyone know of any Arizona (Flagstaff/Phoenix/Tucson) based Python UGs?

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Tue Jul 10 19:05:59 CEST 2007

Michael March wrote:
> I don't see any.. but I want to make sure before I start one.

Please go ahead - I don't see one.  I do see there are people on
python.meetup.com who have expressed an interest in such a group:

   Tempe, AZ  (4 interested)
   Phoenix, AZ  (3 interested)

Start with creating a wiki page on www.python.org (unless you have your own
hosting facilities).  You can see an example of what someone else did at:

   http://wiki.python.org/moin/WinniPUG

Then add your entry to the page at:

   http://wiki.python.org/moin/LocalUserGroups

And then drop an email to the <postmaster at python.org> asking for a mailing
list for your group.  This will make you admin for that list, so you'll need
to know your way around the Mailman interface a bit to add the group
description, title and such.  Not a big deal.

And then once this is done, I can start making announcements and blog entries
of the formation of the group.

People will start joining the list, a discussion about where to hold meetings
happens (unless you have a good place already, perhaps where you work), and
meetings start.

We can also get you set up on meetup.com, with your fee covered by the PSF, I
believe.  Being on meetup.com makes you easier to find for those not in the
Python community, and gives you a recurring email notice and calendar feature.

I'd be happy with work with you in getting this done.  It can seem a bit
formidable with all the details but if you'll do the legwork on the ground, we
will support you with online facilities and promotion.

-Jeff