[group-organizers] Advice on starting a python UG

Christopher Arndt chris.arndt at web.de
Thu Jun 7 19:25:10 CEST 2007

Chad Cooper schrieb:
> I am located in northwest Arkansas, USA and am interested in starting a
> PUG (as far as I know, there isnt one at all in Arkansas). I'm sure you
> get this question alot, but what suggestions can any of you provide to
> help me get started and to get the word out seeking others? I primarily
> use Python for data harvesting and GIS, and I know there are others in
> this state doing the same. My first inclination is to send the
> proverbial message to the state GIS users group listserve. Any other
> ideas, links, etc? Thanks.

Good starting points include:

- Local Linux User Groups (LUGs), they all have a mailing lists too
- Local web developer groups or meetings
- Research Institutes (maybe there are mailing list spanning regional or
national research networks)
- Web forums

I wouldn't bother to plan too much in advance. If you have 3-4 people
willing to meet, agree on a date and place and off you go. The rest will
develop if the "vibes" are good.

Chris