[group-organizers] Teach me X

Brandon Craig Rhodes brandon at rhodesmill.org
Wed Apr 22 19:13:24 CEST 2009

David Christian <david.christian at gmail.com> writes:

> Has anyone had success duplicating this at their group?  My concern
> would be that the group, not being self-selecting in the same way,
> might have trouble finding a topic about which to do the "teach me"
> session.

My fear would be an even larger one: that there would not be experts
present in the audience to *do* the teaching!  A Teach-Me session is
often successful at a conference because the authors or proponents of
the framework or topic in question see the announcement and show up to
give instruction, answer questions, and make their product look good.
At a local group meeting, on the other hand, experts won't just show up
for free; you'll have to carefully choose a topic that you have local
expertise on, or else risk having the blind lead the blind. :-)