[group-organizers] Hack nights?

Catherine Devlin catherine.devlin at gmail.com
Sun May 24 05:34:02 CEST 2009

In our region, the .NET user groups have been very active in
organizing GiveCamps - hacking weekends to produce software for
charities - and they tell me that this is a very energizing format,
something that really draws people in.  I suspect that a series of,
say, monthly hack nights for a cause would work as well - or better
(getting the projects to completion in one weekend is apparently the
hard part).

I'm hoping to go to one to see and model it, but it looks like there
won't be one near me until July.  You could check at givecamp.org for
one around you.

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 12:51 PM, David Christian
<david.christian at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
> There was some discussion of hack nights when we were at pycon.
>
> I'm looking at starting such a thing here in NYC and so I wanted to
> keep that conversation going.
>
> I think the trickiest thing w/ hack nights is how to get things going
> - do you have one large project, or do you have lots of people doing
> their own projects?
>
> The details of making this work correctly I think are more tricky than
> they might seem, and it seems like it would be easy for a hack night
> to either devolve into everyone working on their own thing (I've seen
> this) or having it die when interest in a particular project dies
> (I've seen this too!)
>
> Any advice would be appreciated!
>
> Cheers,
> Dave
> NYCPython.org

- Catherine
http://catherinedevlin.blogspot.com/
*** PyOhio * July 25-26, 2009 * pyohio.org ***