[group-organizers] Let's meet up at PyCon

Michelle Rowley michelle at pdxpython.org
Mon Feb 13 23:46:53 CET 2012

Done - I put us on the list for Saturday at 7pm. Here's the wiki page for the BOF: https://us.pycon.org/2012/community/openspaces/organizers. Please feel free to add more info and topic ideas to the list, and jot down your name if you plan to come!

>> One idea Ned and Asheesh Laroia had was to figure out a way for some non-profit to accept donations on behalf of any local user group, and to make sure those funds get used appropriately for that user group. We could use an existing non-profit or make a new one. This would solve the problem of sponsorship without each of us having to create our own non-profit for our group. I think it's a great idea, and I would be willing to do some of the legwork for the non-profit.
> I should have mentioned this earlier: Boston Python is now set up to use the PSF as their fiscal sponsor (which is the fancy official term for a non-profit collecting money for another group's use).  It took a while, but now seems to be working.  You can see it in action at http://donate.bostonpython.com (donations welcome!), if you want to see the entire flow, donating $1 seems to be the only way, I had to do that in order to test it in the first place.  I think Boston Python and PyTexas are the two organizations set up like this, but I think Kurt (the PSF treasurer) intended that it be used much more widely.

Awesome! I would love to get PDX Python set up like that. I put that as a topic to discuss at the BOF. Ned, would you mind giving us an overview of how you got it set up with Kurt?

>> Related to this idea that each of us does a lot of the same work, separately, for our user groups, Ned and I have been toying with creating reusable resources to share with each other (and other Python organizers). The one example we have so far is a basic grant request form that asks the PSF to pay back fees for Meetup. All one would need to do is change the city name and add some details about the particular group's outreach. We tested it and it worked! I think it would be awesome if we could brainstorm all the ways we repeat work among our groups and how we might create shared resources to cover those cases.
> I'll toss out some ideas:  One clear are of reuse is teaching materials.  Jessica McKellar has done a great job with the Boston Python Workshop (http://bostonpythonworkshop.com/), creating materials that can be used elsewhere.
>
> A perennial problem is finding speakers, but sometimes just ideas for talks get you halfway there.  We've recently started a Google Moderator to collect talk ideas (http://ideas.bostonpython.com), and there's no reason ideas, and even prepared talks, couldn't be shared among groups. (BTW: anyone know anything better than Moderator for this?  I looked into uservoice.com, but it wants you to login to vote.)
>
> We've only recently started recording our sessions, and will be putting them on http://python.mirocommunity.org/.  What tips/techniques have people found helpful?

I added these topics to the list. I'm especially interested in hearing about your experience with recording the meetings and putting them online.

Michelle