[group-organizers] Community organizer's starter kit

Vicky Twomey-Lee whykay at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 21:37:08 CET 2012

Hi Travis,

Vicky, organiser of Python & PyCon Ireland here.

I wonder if this is what people were talking about?
http://wiki.python.org/moin/StartingYourUsersGroup
I haven't really been reading up on how people set up groups, we are kind
of learning as we go along. :-)

There's a common foundation of setting up user groups for everyone, but
it's all dependent on who's setting it up and very culture-dependent. The
easy thing is setting one up, the hard part is keeping it going and keep
people interested in coming along.

My tip to a recent user group in HK was to keep having them on the same day
each month. They don't meet up in pubs if there's no talks, they meet up in
offices, unis, etc. But in Ireland (Dublin, Cork and Galway), our failsafe
has always been a pub.

Great idea though, can't wait to see what I can contribute from our side of
things.

Good luck!

Cheers,

/// Vicky