[group-organizers] python office hours at ps1

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Fri Apr 24 16:51:42 CEST 2015

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 6:23 AM, Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com>
wrote:

> I'd like to be able to matchmake people to open source projects with local
>> maintainers. It would be cool to take people from an Open Source Comes to
>> Campus event in to some project with local maintainers.
>>
> In Boston, we've tried having a regular email that goes out announcing
> projects maintained by members.  It hasn't really taken off, but we're
> going to keep trying it.  For example:
> http://www.meetup.com/bostonpython/messages/76549008/

One thing helpful about meeting in a hackerspace is that we have a few
things around hte space that could use contributors. The members management
app is django, and we have a door entry system that is written in go that
talks to the members management app. We've got some python irc bots that
interact with the space and have a thingsbus that people could put things
on.

We are experimenting with giving member points to people who make
contributions but I haven't seen any requesters yet (I'm on the board and
we go through member point granting every week at the board meeting).

One interesting things I've noticed as a maintainer of pyvideo.org with
Will -- sometimes people who are not involved will start with sweeping
change suggestions (e.g. convert all the function based views to class
based views, rearrange the repo and settings style so that it is more like
2scoops style, etc.) and those types of things can take a lot of energy to
reject or accept or mentor.

Given that experience, I think I want to talk to any of the ps1 project
maintainres to work out some beginning guidelines for accepting help. I
know I have that feeling myself for pyvideo -- I'd like to be able to
direct energy to specific things first rather than overarching ambitious
changes.

The chipy mentorship program is neat and project nights or office hours and
events like those could be places where mentors/mentees help or perhaps
places where mentees could find new things to work on. I know one of the
mentees because I met him at office hours and he asked if he could help
with pyvideo since he's interested in service apis. I told him to talk to
me again after we had worked out the deployment issues because after that
we'd find it easier to spend time pushing features. The lack of deployment
ifnrastructure really soaked up a lot of energy. Boy is it good to have
that out of the way.

shekay at pobox.com