[group-organizers] handling incidents (cf public vs private)

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Fri Jul 31 19:20:58 CEST 2015

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 1:42 PM, Don Sheu <dinaldo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dusty Phillips made a good point, nobody should be in a situation that
> feels uncomfortable independent of gender and race.

I think this is an excellent dream, but it will take a long time to achieve.

On the path towards the goal, people become uncomfortable because they
learn that they have commited -isms in the past. I get distressed when I
remember sexist, racist, and ablists things I've done in the past, and end
of working through those feelings and educating myself.

For example, as someone who has to work extra hard to develop social
skills, I've had to learn no to violates all the rules in the Recurse
Center's manual, <https://www.recurse.com/manual#sec-environment>, and it's
a continual challenge. I do the "well actually" and "backseat driving" a
lot.

shekay at pobox.com