[group-organizers] meeting locations

Don Sheu dinaldo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 18:54:21 CEST 2015

At PuPPy in Seattle, we follow ChiPy and Brian's example and move each
month.

My cofounder Dusty Phillips author of *Python 3 Object Oriented
Programmin*g works
at Facebook. Right now Facebook has 500 open job reqs in Seattle, with
rumors that number will increase to 2000 with the new campus coming on line
in December. We consciously don't want to be perceived as a conduit for
Facebook's hiring. We try to meet at Facebook at most once a quarter.

We've held meetings at Google, Flowroute, Indeed, Redfin, Qumulo, and Surf
Incubator. Adam Forsyth and Braintree's been kind enough to sponsor food
when we met at Redfin.

Because we have well over 100 at each meeting (Google on June 10th has over
230 RSVPs) smaller companies usually don't have enough room to host
everybody interested in attending. We're exploring hosting workshops with
smaller turnout at smaller venues.

Moving around gives PuPPy members an opportunity to learn about Python
consuming companies in Seattle.
ᐧ

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 9:17 AM, sheila miguez <shekay at pobox.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I notice that some of your groups meet in the same place every month and
> some don't. I know ChiPy moves around each month, but the meetings I run
> are in the same place.
>
> What pros and cons have you found for moving things around?
>
> I like meeting in the same place because it saves me time in finding a
> place to select. I don't have to do legwork to get new hosts, determine if
> their meeting area is adequate, etc.
>
> I think a con of meeting in the same space is that the host might get over
> booked, but that hasn't happened so far.
>
> --
> shekay at pobox.com

Don Sheu
(312) 880-9389

  *Apply to join us at www.openforcetour.org
<http://www.openforcetour.org/>*

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE*: *The information contained in this message may be
protected trade secrets or protected by applicable intellectual property
laws of the United States and International agreements. If you believe that
it has been sent to you in error, do not read it. Please immediately reply
to the sender that you have received the message in error. Then delete it.
Thank you.*