[group-organizers] Python Club OAU

Trey Hunner trey at treyhunner.com
Fri Feb 5 16:55:33 EST 2016

I'd like to echo Doug's advice of finding co-organizers. Being a sole
organizer can be overwhelming... maybe not at first but at some point
you may want to take a break or have a partner or two to hold you
accountable.

I go to meetups mostly for the socializing, but having at least one talk
topic can be helpful for adding structure and learning to the event. We
moved to a lightning talk format in the past and we've found that it
seems to work pretty well. New members and new programmers seem much
more comfortable committing to a 5 minute talk than committing to a 25
minute talk. A shorter talk format also opens the door to topics that
are much more niche.

Best of luck with your Python club! :)

On 02/02/2016 07:36 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> On Jan 31, 2016, at 2:20 AM, Lekan Wahab <olamyy53 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello guys.
>> My name is Lekan.
>> I run a Python Club on campus (Obafemi Awolowo University).
>> However, considering the fact that am a fresh man and have limited
>> capabilities, I was wondering if someone could help me with tips on how
>> well to manage the club's activities.
>>
>> Lekan Wahab
> My advice is to not try to do everything yourself. Find one or two other members who are interested in helping, and split up the work of finding speakers (yes, you don’t have to speak at every meeting yourself), etc.
>
> To find speakers for the Atlanta, Georgia meetup, I talk to our members about what they are working on. We have members at all different levels of experience, but each of them is doing something interesting. I don’t think I’ve had a single meeting at which I didn’t find someone I could ask to prepare a short talk for us for a later meeting. Inviting someone individually with a specific topic in mind has been much more effective than sending out general emails to all of the members.
>
> We also build some time for socializing into our meetings, so members can get to know each other, catch up with friends, etc. That makes the meeting fun, even if the talk we have scheduled isn’t on a topic of interest to everyone in the group.
>
> Doug

Trey Hunner
Technical Trainer, Teacher
http://treyhunner.com