[group-organizers] Yesterday may have been my mother's last birthday

Don Sheu dinaldo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 18:18:34 EST 2017

That's a good list. May I steal aspects of it with attribution?

I am very transparent about myself and personal stuff. I really hope that
PuPPy can be like your group Boston Python or Brian's group ChiPy, where
association in the group can inspire folks to contribute meaningfully to
the global Python community and build the tools that will bring about a
future we all want to live in.

The personal stuff sharing ship sailed long ago. By being frank, clear, and
open I hope that I can help our members find their motivation. Mortality is
a motivator. Many of our members are young and running out of time is a
fantasy.

There's a reality to the finite availability of time though.
ᐧ

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 2:45 PM, Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com>
wrote:

> Don, I'm sorry to hear about your mother's struggle.  You didn't ask for
> advice on this, but: I don't know how close-knit PuPPy is, or how personal
> you have been with them over email in the past.  I wouldn't be that
> detailed about my personal life in an email to Boston Python members.
> Maybe I misunderstood what you were going to write.
>
> About getting volunteers: it is difficult.  I sometimes send out a call
> for help, but it doesn't usually yield results. Sometimes I just pick
> someone and propose that they do something. Sometimes it works, sometimes
> it doesn't.
>
> I've tried to be clear an explicit about what there is to do:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-5UNh5NB1UuVMiLXBqkfyVcg
> qltksSf_HDchZXp4iCk
>
> Let me know if you come up with anything else...
>
> --Ned.
>

> On 12/20/17 1:48 PM, Don Sheu wrote:
>
>> Working on a holiday-ish message for my PuPPy members. I do want to frame
>> my mother's stage 4 lung cancer diagnosis with something positive about
>> activating members as volunteers and organizers of our group.
>>
>> Tough trying to bridge the fact that yesterday was likely my mother's last
>> birthday with a message that Rome rose from the ashes of Troy.
>>
>> Before PuPPy, in Seattle there was SeaPIG. A few years back, I remember
>> BayPiggies almost stopped functioning as a community user group. I'm
>> always
>> anxious about making sure my group continues after I'm no longer active or
>> I'm not able to contribute any longer.
>>
>> Wonder if anybody has tactics and strategies to share about activating
>> members to volunteers and organizers.

Don Sheu
312.880.9389

My Python user group convenes every month 2nd Wednesdays
http://www.meetup.com/PSPPython/events/232708762/

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE*: *The information contained in this message may be
protected trade secrets or protected by applicable intellectual property
laws of the United States and International agreements. If you believe that
it has been sent to you in error, do not read it. Please immediately reply
to the sender that you have received the message in error. Then delete it.
Thank you.*