[group-organizers] Yesterday may have been my mother's last birthday

Don Sheu dinaldo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 22:35:00 EST 2017

Sent something out really raw with a promise to tie things up with a
follow-up post.

Yesterday my mother likely spent her last birthday ever. The certainty of
death, I learned ten years ago when my father died in my birthday. Now my
mother is teaching me a refresher course. All things end.

Bummer year end message dood!

My point is not to highlight my personal plight. I want to use my example
to highlight PuPPy could perish. Currently we’re okay. New members walking
in brand new may believe PuPPy’s very successful. Currently we track to
count 5000 members by 2018. Our monthly meetings turn out as many 220 in
the room. Miles Erickson highlighted during our meeting at Galvanize this
month, we had some event going every night of the week except for Friday.
Two events were held on Thursday. Thank you Miles for your kind words for
me.

Next month, PyCascades will convene. Earlier today we sold out of
registrations. Guido will speak for the regional conference that we as
PuPPy are a big part of its success.

Is our glass half-full or half-empty?

The average Chinese dynasty lasted about 150 to 200 years. I assume that
most folks will be surprised how short of time dynasties lasted. Walls
don’t work. A wall large enough that astronauts can see from the moon don’t
help. Mongols successfully conquered China. Manchus did the same less than
300 years later.

Once during a year end message when we met at Google for our monthly
meeting, I asked members to be Mongols not knights defending castles. What
I mean by this is that principles, process, and attitude is more important
than protecting a physical asset. I ask the principle that survives my
tenure with PuPPy is kindness.

PuPPy has no clubhouse, we have no castle. Our most important strength is
the attitude of our members. I ask that this attitude be one that defaults
to kindness. The armor against our demise is you. Repeatedly I have said we
will not have a real culture until we have more contribution from each
member. Currently we depend too much on my availability, energy, and ideas.
My taste drives too much of our events.

Things are better though. Miles highlighted this. Though he remembered the
goal of having a PuPPy event every night of the weekday as last year. I set
the goal during our anniversary meeting two years ago. When building
community, deadlines may slip. Now, we have amazing projects generated by
our members, where I have nothing to do with the success or content.

We need more. We need more volunteers to bring diverse views to bear. All
centered around being kind as the base attitude.

Mortality for me became clear as I waited for my father to breathe his
last. My younger sister and I waited for him to flatline. When the fluids
hospital staff filled him with depleted, his heart stopped, that death held
heavy in the room was palpable to me. No deaths of friends or relatives
proved to me my own mortality better than the death of a parent. My father
gave me life. If my creator is dead, I will certainly die. It was
liberating. I was initiated into the natural cycle of things. I am at peace
with death. Also now I expect all will end someday.

Someday PuPPy will be no more. My job is to make sure that’s a date that
outlasts the capacity of our own memories. Before PuPPy was SeaPIG. As
SeaPIG ran out of gas dependent on its sole organizer, BayPiggies where
Guido first spoke when he moved to California, also nearly perished. PuPPy
could end without you.

I wanted to get this message out as the feeling was fresh for me. I promise
a revision that includes highlights of the great programs that are running.
We should take a moment to recognize members who are giving of themselves.
Currently, I’m corresponding with organizers of groups around the world to
create a guideline for community participation.

I am used to high permission, highly creative environments. Problem is many
of our members have never experienced this. PyCascades is a pleasure to
organize because everybody involved has individually put a lot of effort
into building community in the Python world. What I struggle with is some
form of tutorial to get members acculturated to an environment of high
risk, high reward, extreme self-accountability.

Fragments, I know and I apologize. But hopefully I’m convincing you my
sincerity and care for you and our community is very real. Some have
ridiculed my dedication to PuPPy. Those aren’t my friends. You are my
friends. My honor is to serve all of you and our global Python community.

Promises that I will to tie everything together with some practical
measures.

ᐧ

--
Don Sheu