[GSoC-general] Code Sample

Terri Oda terri at toybox.ca
Thu Mar 24 14:56:31 EDT 2016

On 2016-03-21 8:14 AM, Abdul  Junaid wrote:
> Dear Developers!
>
> Can you please guide me, that what constitutes an appropriate sample?
> And what is meant by patch/sample code?

Which sub-org are you working for?  Each of them may have different
ideas of what an ideal code sample looks like, and you should ask them
first.

But in general for all PSF applications, take a look at
https://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/ApplicationTemplate2016 which
has more info than the one in Google's system (because the one in
Google's system has pretty strict character limits)

The code sample must be
1.  something the developers can see, so somewhere public and not
requiring an NDA or other serious licensing restrictions

2.  related to your project.  Ideally, it would be something submitted
to the sub-org you're applying with, since that would demonstrate that
you know how to set up your environment, submit an upstream patch, etc.
  Test code is fine if you don't have a bug to fix.  If that's not
possible for some reason that is agreed upon by your prospective
mentors, choose code that at least demonstrates something related to the
skills you will need to complete your chosen project.

It doesn't have to be long, a dozen lines or so is fine as long as it
provides useful information to your mentors about the skills you have.

  Terri