[GSoC-general] G-SOC 2017

Terri Oda terri at toybox.ca
Sun Jun 5 18:05:45 EDT 2016

On 2016-06-05 11:31 AM, SATYA PRASANTH SEETHEPALLI wrote:
> Hi,
>      I am Prasanth, and I want to participate in gsoc 2017 which will be
> my first gsoc. To introduce myself I am an UnderGraduate from Indian
> Institute of Information Technology, Sri City studying 3rd year. I am
> very good at programming, and I like python over all programming
> languages. That is why I selected "Python" Organisation over other
> organisations in gsoc. But I am not familiar with details in how to
> prepare, what to do to get my project selected and what to choose as my
> project. So, I want all of your suggestions to start my work. So, please
> help me to get prepared.

Hi Prasanth!

We're still busy with GSoC 2016, so you're super early!  I don't think
GSoC 2017 has been announced yet.  Assuming Google decides to do it,
most projects doing GSoC aren't going to want to spend too much time
talking 2017 yet.  This time of year is especially bad since most orgs
are still getting the 2016 students settled into coding (it's only been
a couple of weeks).

But luckily for you, most open source projects accept contributors year
round, and any open source experience will help you be prepared for GSoC
2017. Just don't bug them about GSoC-related stuff and instead work on
being a good contributor.

Since you're interested in Python specifically, I recommend you start by
reading the FAQ:

https://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

In particular, the first question gives 7 things I usually recommend
people do to get started.  Here's the short version; there's a longer
version at the link above:

1. Choose an organization to work with.
2. Set up your own development environment.
3. Start communicating with the developers.
4. Find some beginner-friendly bugs and try to fix them.
5. Find bugs and report them.
6. Help with documentation.
7. Help others.

We probably won't have a page up for 2017 until after Google makes their
announcement (Assuming they do!), but you can take a look at the 2016
page to see what people are working on this year, and it's worth reading
the blogs too because the current students often have great information
about what they're learning that could help you succeed next year.

That page is here:

https://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/2016

And it contains a bunch of links on how to write a proposal and stuff.
I recommend you read them all, since you've got lots of time right now!

Good luck!

  Terri