[GSoC-general] Starting contribution

Terri Oda terri at toybox.ca
Sun Oct 9 01:54:23 EDT 2016

On 2016-10-08 8:33 PM, vinit Parakh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am Vinit an undergraduate from India in Computer Science branch.
> I come to know about this organization through GSOC. I am looking
> forward to contributing in open source (python).
> I am familiar with CC, C++, Python, and bootstrap.
> I am stuck in situation of how to get started what setup and environment
> I need for Linux and where I can find the bug list.
> Kindly help me to move forward.
> Thanks,

Hi Vinit!

First off, you'll need to narrow down which sub-organization you'd like
to work with.  Python is an "umbrella organization" which hosts around
20 sub-organizations, each of which has their own bug tracker.  We don't
know yet who's participating, but you can take a look at all the orgs
that participated in 2016 and that's not a bad place to start:

https://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/2016

Don't worry too much about whether the project you choose will be in or
not.  You're so early that you've got plenty of time to change your
mind, and *any* contributions will help your application and give you
useful experience for GSoC.

And don't forget to keep an eye on the page for the upcoming year.
We'll start serious updates with information about projects and sub-orgs
in January and February 2017.

https://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/2017

  Terri