[GSoC-general] I wish to contribute

Terri Oda terri at toybox.ca
Thu Oct 13 02:45:57 EDT 2016

On 2016-10-12 11:15 PM, Sahithi Kilaru via GSoC-general wrote:
> I'm a software developer and I'm new around here. I wish to contribute
> to your codebase. Can someone help me get started?

So, Python as far as Google Summer of Code goes is a *lot* of different
code bases.  20+ in fact.  So you'll need to narrow down your question a
bit before anyone can even start to answer you!

You can see who participated last year here:
https://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/2016

But there's no guarantee that all those groups will participate again in
2017.  Many groups won't be making that decision for sure until January
or February of 2017 when they know which mentors will be available.  But
that's ok, any experience will help you be a better candidate for GSoC,
so if that's your goal it doesn't matter which group you choose first.

If you're overwhelmed with the choices, you might want to read this to
help you get started:

https://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#How_do_I_choose_a_project_or_a_sub-org.3F

Good luck!

  Terri