[GSoC-general] Regarding GSOC 2017

Terri Oda terri at toybox.ca
Tue Jan 17 00:46:11 EST 2017

On 2017-01-13 1:17 PM, PRAMOD YADAV wrote:
> I wish to do the same and I have a project idea . Do I need to get
> started fixing some issues for the organisation or can I communicate my
> idea to anyone and get it refined .

You'll need to do both things, eventually:

1. Find an organization that you're interested in and that hopefully
thinks your idea is worth refining.  Since you didn't specify anything
about your idea, we can't really help you with that, so you'll have to
give folk here a bit more to work with if you want help with that part,
or start asking organizations individually.

2. If you're planning to put in an application, then you will eventually
need a code sample, so you should try to fix some issues for the
organization you choose.  This doesn't have to be the first thing you do
with them, though.

Remember, you MUST find an organization interested in your idea if you
want to be hired, so you'll need to pay close attention to what mentors
tell you when you talk to them about your idea.  If they aren't excited
about it, you aren't very likely to get hired.

Don't despair if you find that you're not getting a lot of interest,
though -- it can be very hard for first-time students to know what a
project wants and needs, and that's why we have ideas pages to guide you
to something that you know they want.  If you aren't finding a mentor
for your personal project idea, you should pick one from their list and
try working on that as a base instead.

  Terri