[GSoC-general] GSoC 2017 under PSF

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 02:21:01 EST 2017

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Pradyun Gedam <pradyunsg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Everyone!
>
> My name is Pradyun Gedam. I'm currently a first year student VIT
> University in India.
>
> I would like to apply for GSoC 2017 under PSF.
>
> I currently have a project in mind - the "pip needs a dependency resolver"
> issue [1]. I would like to take on this specific project but am willing to
> do some other project as well.
>
> For some background, around mid 2016, I started contributing to pip. The
> first issue I tackled was #59 [2] - a request for upgrade command and an
> upgrade-all command that has been open for over 5.5 years. Over the months
> following that, I've have had the opportunity to work with and understand
> multiple parts of pip's codebase while working on this issue and a few
> others. This search on GitHub issues [3] also provides a good summary of
> what work I've done on pip.
>
> [2]: https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/988
> [2]: https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/59
> [3]: https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues?q=author%3Apradyunsg

Hi Pradyun, that would be an awesome GSoC project. Note that this is a
general GSoC list, what you want to do is to propose your project on the
distutils-sig mailing list and ask for feedback and if anyone is willing to
mentor you. If you find a mentor, it requires pip as a project to sign up
for GSoC under the PSF umbrella (which it has never done before AFAIK).

Cheers,
Ralf