[PyHealthcare] Introductions

Vernon Cole vernondcole at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 23:58:01 CEST 2011

Hello List:
I just ran a google search for "python healthcare" and tripped across this
list, so I did not get my introduction in at the beginning. Here it is
now...

<warning: shameless plug>
I am searching for work, and prefer to work with python, and have experience
in the medical field, so it seems like a good idea to try to find both at
the same job. If anyone knows of an opportunity, please let me know.
</warning>

I have been using Python for six years, mostly in the hospitality industry.
Prior to that, I spent several years writing an accounting system in an
obscure 4th generation language called RDM.  We targeted small hospitals and
rural health clinics for our primary market. The medical accounts receivable
and insurance billing subsystems were, IMHO, nicely sophisticated. (The
payroll system is pretty good, too.) That system is still in use in a few
places, but never really made the jump into the big time.

Recently, I did a project to connect an HL7 feed into our old RDM Hospital
Information System, and used Python (what else?) for the glue language.  It
was very rewarding how much faster my reactions to minor interface changes
were compared to the other guys, who had Java and (I think)  Visual Basic
applications. I ended up doing most of the weird data adaptations, simply
because I could.

My wildest dream is to be able to re-code the whole system using Python
tools and release it into the world as FOSS.
--
Vernon Cole