[I18n-sig] Re: [Python-Dev] Re: [XML-SIG] Python 1.6a2 Unicode experiences?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 09:24:29 -0400

> [Note: These discussion should all move to 18n-sig... CCing there]
>
> Christopher Petrilli wrote:
> > you don't get the same thing out that you put in (at least this is
> > what I've been told by a lot of Japanese developers), and therefore
> > it's not terribly popular because of the nature of the Japanese (and
> > Chinese) langauge.
> >
> > My experience with Unicode is that a lot of Western people think it's
> > the answer to every problem asked, while most asian language people
> > disagree vehemently.  This says the problem isn't solved yet, even if
> > people wish to deny it.

[Marc-Andre Lenburg]
> Isn't this a problem of the translation rather than Unicode
> itself (Andy mentioned several times that you can use the private
> BMP areas to implement 1-1 round-trips) ?

Maybe, but apparently such high-quality translations are rare (note
that Andy said "can").

Anyway, a word of caution here.  Years ago I attended a number of IETF
meetings on internationalization, in a time when Unicode wasn't as
accepted as it is now.  The one thing I took away from those meetings
was that this is a *highly* emotional and controversial issue.

As the Python community, I feel we have no need to discuss "why
Unicode."  Therein lies madness, controversy, and no progress.  We
know there's a clear demand for Unicode, and we've committed to
support it.  The question now at hand is "how Unicode."  Let's please
focus on that, e.g. in the other thread ("Unicode debate") in i18n-sig
and python-dev.