[I18n-sig] Re: Translated messages and 'gettext'

Peter Funk pf@artcom-gmbh.de
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 16:52:44 +0200 (MEST)

Hi,

M.-A. Lemburg:
> Hmm, wouldn't it make sense to come up with one standard
> gettext.py module which implements all the needed functionality
> in Python and can use the wrapped GNU libintl.a optionally
> if available ?

Yes: this is, what I want have in mind.

> Wish list:
>
> The module should ideally support all major gettext and
> similar l10n-formats and allow changing languages.

At the moment I see no heavy need for other binary formats, than the
GNU gettext .mo file format.  However it may be useful for people,
who want to embed Python into a larger project.  So I will try to design
an easy way to plugin readers for other formats.

> Peter's translation object approach seems to fit this best: it
> could use mixin classes for the different l10n formats
> (gettext .mo files, locale message files, resource files, etc.) and
> provide the needed caching and lookup engine as base class.
> It would probably be easiest to have one language per instance
> and perhaps a tranlation object factory which implements
> caching objects for the different languages currently in use.
>
> ...just some thoughts (got no time for this :-()

I will save your suggestions here and I will *try* to realize them
in time for inclusion into Python 1.6 final.

Regards, Peter