[I18n-sig] Re: [Python-Dev] Unicode debate

Tom Emerson tree@basistech.com
Mon, 1 May 2000 14:46:04 -0400 (EDT)

Guido van Rossum writes:
 > The standard forces that work against all change -- existing tools,
 > user habits, compatibility, etc.

Ah... I misread your original statement, which I took to be a
technical reason why one couldn't convert ISO-2022-JP to UTF-8. Of
course one cannot expect everyone to switch en masse to a new
encoding, pulling their existing documents with them. I'm in full
agreement there.

          -tree

Language Hacker                                    http://www.basistech.com