[I18n-sig] Re: Unicode debate

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 01 May 2000 22:03:21 +0200

Just van Rossum wrote:

> MAL & GvR wrote:
> >> * cPickle.loads() doesn't like Unicode as data storage
> >
> >Hm, hard to fix.  Again, it really should use the buffer API, but it doesn't.
>
> Why should it be fixed? Unicode as data storage???

No. The tests I ran were using the experimental -U command
line option patch which was just added to CVS. It is useful
for finding all these small places where strings are hard-coded
into the standard lib.

Of course, you're right about warning to put binary data into
Unicode strings -- we shouldn't get into the same mess twice ;-)

> The least we can do
> about the character string vs. data buffer discrepancy is discourage the
> use of Unicode strings as data storage, no?

Rather than fixing the implemenation we should fix usage
here: binary data should go into buffer objects, not
strings and cPickle ought to use the buffer interface
then.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg