[I18n-sig] Re: Unicode debate

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Tue, 2 May 2000 18:33:56 +0100

At 5:55 PM +0200 02-05-2000, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>[BTW, I'm pretty sure that the Latin-1 folks won't like
>ASCII for the same reason they don't like UTF-8: it's
>simply an inconvenient way to write strings in their favorite
>encoding directly in Python source code. My feeling in this
>whole discussion is that it's more about convenience than
>anything else. Still, it's very amusing ;-) ]

For the record, I don't want Latin-1 because it's my favorite encoding. It
isn't. Guido's right: I can't even *use* it derictly on my platform. I want
it *only* because it's the most logical 8-bit subset of Unicode -- as we
have stated over and opver and over and over again. What's so hard to
understand about this?

Just