[I18n-sig] Re: [XML-SIG] Character encodings and expat

Andy Robinson andy@reportlab.com
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:13:07 -0000

> M.-A. Lemburg writes:
>  > I think that we ought to start a project for implementing
>  > the AsianCodecs package.
>
> Agreed. Basis Technology can host this effort if
> necessary. Regardless, I will volunteer to handle the Chinese
> encodings, including:
>
> GB 2312-80, CP936
> Big Five, Big Five Plus, CP950, Big Five HKSCS
>
> and others in the IANA list not mentioned above.
>
> I would also suggest that someone (perhaps based on
> Tamito's work)
> implement a general purpose ISO-2022 codec that can be
> subclassed for
> the locale specific environments.

I agree this needs to move.  I'm sig coordinator and
realy should have done more myself this summer.

Tom, thanks for the offer of hosting, but can any see a reason
NOT to use Sourceforge?  Python itself and pyxml are
there, many people have accounts, and it makes it
a lot easier for us to set up web-based test harnesses
and eventually for Guido et al to grab what they need
if they need it.   I can set up a pyi18n project
right away, unless someone can come up with a more
marketable name :-)

I'll volunteer to at least set up a test harness in
December so that people can submit jobs to it via
the web asking it to translate files; and I have two
good authors of Python extensions working with me
who can help out.

- Andy