[I18n-sig] Re: pygettext.py extraction of docstrings

Karl Eichwalder keichwa@gmx.net
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:57:51 +0200

barry@wooz.org (Barry A. Warsaw) writes:

> I made the semantics for pygettext.py's --docstrings/-D option to
> extract /also/ the docstrings because the older version of msgmerge I
> am using can't merge a docstring-only catalog with a normal-string
> catalog in a reasonable way (I tried).

FYI: You must not use msgmerge for this job; msgcomm is the right tool
;)  When gettext 0.11 is released you can go for msgcat.

> And as stated above, module docstrings can serve exactly the same
> audience as other translatable strings, i.e. the end user, so they
> should be in the same catalog.

It depends.  It depends on the size (for example).  gnumeric, a GNOME
spreadsheet application written in C, features "docstrings" associated
with macro functions, highly mathematical stuff, approx. 3-400
messages.  I'm not able to translate these messages and as a translator
I like have these messages go into a separate file...

Happily, these days I can use msggrep to extract these messages
(fr-function.po) and msgcomm to "substrate" the extracted strings
(fr-function.po) from the original .po file (fr.po); result:
fr-without-function.po.  Here are the commands:

    msggrep --output fr-function.po --width 0 \
            --msgid --regex '@FUNCTION=' fr.po
    msgcomm --output fr-without-function.po --width 0 \
            --less-than 2 fr.po fr-function.po

msggrep is able to work on filename markers (#: filename), too.

Sorry for my digression.

ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o
Free Translation Project:                                |    _-\_<,
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/HTML/             |   (*)/'(*)