[I18n-sig] Pre-PEP: Proposed Python Character Model

Thu, 8 Feb 2001 21:09:26 +0100

>               encoded 8-bit string (with encoding
>                                     information !)

I'd like to point out that this is something that Bill Janssen always
wanted to see. In CORBA, they number encodings for efficient
representation; that's something that Python could do as well. CORBA
took the OSF charset registry. That was a mistake, they think about
using the IANA registry now. This registry provides both textual and
numeric identifiers for encodings (numeric in the form of MIBEnum
values).

Regards,
Martin